Dropped in to Warwick’s on the weekend to check on the progress of the body work. Warwick has been busy and all the rust repairs have been completed and the new panels from Ex-pressed fitted. A couple were a good fit but most required a fair bit of fettling to fit well with some of the curves incorrect or length not quite right. Warwick has also gapped the front doors and they look absolutely spot on. This car will certainly have better gaps than Ford ever managed from the factory and a lot of work has gone into extending some of the panels and shortening others to get them perfect. All the joins have been welded and lead filled. I don’t think there are many panel shops still around that would lead fill but the result will be a car that should still look terrific for decades to come without the fear of rust bubbling to the surface.
All the rust repairs have been completed
New front valance and new plenum
New front quarters
Doors fitted and gapped
Lower sills had been repaired previously but Warwick fixed them up
Posted in Bodywork
Started building up the rear brakes on the diff. Was a bit annoyed that when I pulled all my brake parts out that the Cortina Club had sent me one correct and one incorrect rear brake cylinder so I could only build up one side. Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos of the brakes when I pulled them apart so it took a bit of fiddling around at first as it’s been a long time since I built some rear drum brakes. Eventually things fell into place and I just need to order another brake cylinder and the diff will be ready to install when the car arrives for assembly
Rear backing plate
Drum liners installed
rear shot showing the new retainer clips
The car has now been at the body shop for a few months now. It’s been fully stripped. After inspection we determined that it would be best to order some new panels so I made a list and purchased a bunch of stuff from Expressed Panels in the UK. After about a month they arrived and are now at the workshop being fitted up.
Panels arrived well boxed up.
No damage, everything was intact.
The panels appear to be of reasonable quality. A lot of them are beaten, not pressed.
Car has now been fully stripped, which unveiled a few more old repairs.
My trolley was modified to make it able to be moved outside.
Ready for body work.
It’s been a while since I’ve posted as we’ve been selling our house. Today though the car headed off to the body shop. The plan is to sand and dust blast the body completely, make any repairs and then paint in the original silver metallic grey. First up will be the interior, underside and engine bay before it will come home and I’ll fit up the running gear before it goes back for the exterior.
I had Suspension Concepts at Wyong reset a set of rear leaf springs. They inverted the top leaf and added an extra leaf. It should sit a few inches lower now. They gave them a coat of paint but They still look pretty shabby so I think I’ll get them blasted and will paint them properly. They also hooked me up with a set of lowered King Springs for the front. I wanted to go a touch lower but they advised against going any lower on the standard setup. If I’m not happy with this setup I’ll put the standard GT struts in the cupboard and have them make me up a set of coilovers. I also ended up getting a set of adjustable strut tops. My original plan was to install rebuilt originals (which I have), but Greg from Suspension Concepts was very persuasive about the benefits of dialling in some camber and caster. Again if I’m not happy it’s an easy swap to put the standard strut tops in.
Reset springs with an extra leaf added.
Inverted top leaf
Adjustable strut tops.
New lowered King Springs for the front
I decided to have a crack at rebuilding my steering box. I can see why I was warned not to! Spent a bit of time chasing ball bearings around the garage but ultimately got it all back together and shimmed up. Took the time to give it a clean up and will get it painted up 2 pack black at some point. I also picked up my interior from Brent at Brent Parker Motor Trimming. He fitted up my seat covers, rear c pillar covers and repaired my sun visors. He did an awesome job and was impressed with the quality of the Aldridge covers. All I need to do is mask and paint up the metal sun visor frame.
I used a puller to remove the steering arm
There was practically no oil in the box
Steering box cleaned up
Internals cleaned up
New bearing cup
This was attempt one at installing the work drive but I ended up having to do it horizontally
Finished and cleaned
The shaft was sanded and etch primed
New back seat
Aldridge built new patterns from my old rear seats that I sent them
Freshly powder coated frame with all new foams and hessian
Everything looks very original
New front seats
Freshly powder coated frames
c pillar covers
repaired and recovered sun visors
I reassembled all my door handles on the weekend. The handles have been re-chromed and the internals re-plated. Due to the chroming process they didn’t go back as well as planned and a couple of holes will need to be re-drilled and tapped. I also dropped off my seat frames and new seat covers, sun visors and c pillar covers to Brent Parker to have them re-trimmed. I don’t need these for a while but he had a bit of gap so this works out well.